Thai Beef Salad
- ½ lb filet mignon
- 4 cups torn lettuce leaves (you can use a spring mix, but avoid bitter greens)
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 chopped red onion
- ½ of chopped jicama
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of a fresh minced hot chili or red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons of Thai salad dressing (see below for recipe)
- One package of Thai glass noodles
Follow the instructions on the noodles package to cook noodles. Once they are cooked, put them in a bath of cool water to chill. Season the beef with salt and pepper and grill to rare (an outside grill is best but a grill pan will work as well). While the beef is grilling, combine the lettuce, mint, cilantro, onion, jicama, tomato and chili (or pepper flakes) in a large bowl. When the beef is rare, take it off the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then slice it into 1/8” thick slices.
To assemble the salad, dress the lettuce mixture with the Thai salad dressing. Put a small helping of the noodles on each plate as the bottom layer, then add a handful of salad and place 2 –to 3 slices of beef on top. Garnish with additional mint and cilantro if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 6 small appetizer-size servings.
Thai salad dressing (makes enough for the salad recipe above)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons thin-sliced tender center of a lemongrass stalk
In a bowl, mix ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved.